Paolo Uccello’s clock

0
Portrait of Paolo Uccello by anonymous, Louvre Museum, Paris
Portrait of Paolo Uccello by anonymous, Louvre Museum, Paris

by Niccolò Rinaldi – Florentine and author of “Secret Florence” and other travel books

Portrait of Paolo Uccello by anonymous, Louvre Museum, Paris
Portrait of Paolo Uccello by anonymous, Louvre Museum, Paris

Some Florentine 
artists did play an important role in the
 history of time measurement. The architect Filippo Brunelleschi invented timepieces; and his clock in the Palazzo dei Vicari at Scarperia can still be seen today. Leonardo da Vinci may not have made clocks, but he did meticulously study their mechanisms and Galileo proved the isochronism of small oscillations. As for Paolo Uccello, he is related to the large clock still visible inside the cathedral over the main doorway, and for that is also remembered in the “Life of Artists” by Vasari. The original mechanism, subsequently modified a number of times (the present one dates from 1761), was designed in 1443 by Angelo Niccolai degli Orologi, grandson of the Niccolò di Berardo who had built the clock at Palazzo Vecchio (since destroyed). Angelo’s workshop was in a street that was subsequently renamed Via dell’Oriuolo (oriuolo being an old form of the word orologio – “clock”). Within the cathedral Paolo Uccello painted the frescoes of the evangelists to the four sides of the clock face and the large circle with the twenty-four hours laid out in the sequence of the time – “anticlockwise” and starting from the bottom rather than the top. The first hour of the day was after sunset, while the 24th corresponded to the hour of the evening Ave Maria. Thus, by beginning from the bottom, the hour at which the sun was at its zenith corresponded to the hour at the very summit of the clock face. The Duomo clock measured out the rhythm of civic and religious life in Florence, although there were no chimes to strike individual hours. The face itself has only one clock hand – again the work of Paolo Uccello – even if the star-form design is so elaborate that you might think that there are actually three clock hands.

In 1750 the clock face was adapted to what was becoming the dominant 12-hour system. This new system had the advantage of cutting the maximum number of chimes from 24 to 12 (thus reducing the possibility of error for those counting each chime to tell the time). In 1968 the clock underwent painstaking restoration of the original 24-hour format.

Santa Maria del Fiore cathedral

Piazza del Duomo

Monday – Wednesday from 10am to 5pm;

Thursday 10am to 3.30pm;

Saturday 10am to 4.45pm;

Sundays and public holidays 1.30pm to 4.45pm

Italiano

Alcuni grandi artisti
 fiorentini hanno svolto un ruolo molto
 importante nella storia della misurazione
 del tempo. Filippo Brunelleschi fu anche inventore di orologi, tra i quali ancora oggi si può ammirare quello sul Palazzo dei Vicari a Scarperia; Leonardo non fabbricò orologi ma li studiò meticolosamente; Galileo scoprì l’isocronismo delle piccole oscillazioni. Paolo Uccello viene invece ricordato nelle “Vite” del Vasari per il grande orologio del Duomo, collocato sopra la porta principale nella parete interna della facciata. Il meccanismo originale, modificato più volte nel corso dei secoli fino all’attuale del 1761, fu opera di Angelo Niccolai degli Orologi nel 1443, nipote di Niccolò di Berardo autore del primo orologio di Palazzo Vecchio andato perso e che aveva bottega in quella strada che è poi stata appunto chiamata via dell’Oriuolo (orologio).

Nel Duomo Paolo Uccello dipinse le immagini degli evangelisti e il grande cerchio con le ventiquattro ore, secondo la sequenza tipica dell’epoca, ovvero in senso anti-orario e partendo dal basso. La prima ora era quella dopo il tramonto fino alla ventiquattresima che corrispondeva all’Ave Maria serale, e l’inizio dal basso permetteva che l’ora di maggior sole si trovasse al culmine del quadrante. L’orologio del Duomo scandiva dunque la vita civile e religiosa di Firenze, anche se l’ora non veniva battuta da alcuna suoneria. La lancetta è una sola, anche se a prima vista possono sembrare tre, per via della sua elaborata forma a stella, ed è sempre opera di Paolo Uccello. Nel 1750 il quadrante fu alterato per adeguarlo al sistema ormai prevalente delle dodici ore, che evitava di dover contare fino a ventiquattro rintocchi, ciò che era frequente causa di errori, ma nel 1968 un accurato restauro ha ripristinato l’indicazione originaria in ventiquattro sezioni.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.