Walking through the lost garden of the Palazzo Medici in Florence

0

Sometimes it’s very hard to imagine how the world looked like in the past: transformations and destructions have in fact altered in an irreparable manner the way we perceive things even when something seems to have reached our times in good conditions. If we think about the fifteenth-century garden of Palazzo Medici Riccardi in Florence the example is very appropriate given that it is the redevelopment work of the twentieth century, while the building was built starting 1445 by Michelozzo for Cosimo il Vecchio and seems to be substantially intact in its fourteenth century parts despite the additions made by the Riccardi family, the new owners of the building starting 1659.

Even if the original garden no longer exists, fortunately we have some documents that can help us to ideally reconstruct this place of delight. If we could go back in time to be able to see this building in the age of Lorenzo the Magnificent (1449-1492), nephew of Cosimo the Elder, before we reach the garden we would cross the courtyard, decorated by medallions created by the shop of Donatello who inspired from the ancient and famous cameos, still present today in their place, and from a column, now destroyed, surmounted by the bronze of David realized by Donatello, that can be found today at the Bargello. Towards the back of the courtyard the connecting door was decorated by a roman bust representing emperor Adriano, which can be found today at the Uffizi. After crossing this passage you could finally see the garden, rectangular and characterized by an opened logia built on the short side towards South, that is on the left of the entrance. This structure, that is still present today even if diminished, culminated with a roof top garden inspired from those in antiquity and was decorated with Roman marble reliefs. Other antique marbles and bronzes decorated the place; among these there was a famous horse head, a Greek creation from the IV century B.C., today found at the Archeological Museum of Florence. But it wasn’t decorated only by antique works of art; the centerpiece of the garden was in fact the famous bronze group of Giuditta and Oloferne of Donatello, today at the Palazzo Vecchio.

Furthermore, the documents describe the bush plants carved in shapes of elephant, wild boar, hare, ship, ram, of fox chased by dogs. However the bush, besides being a decorative element, also had a political meaning: during the visit of Galeazzo Sforza in Florence, in 1459, this bush was transformed in joint crests of the Sforza and Medici families in order to emphasize their alliance. But the garden had a very short life: in 1494, two years after the death of Lorenzo the Magnificent, the Medici family was chased away from Florence, the palace was looted and the bronzes of David and of Giuditta taken away from the courtyard and from the garden, destroying forever a perfect equilibrium between art and nature. What still remained from this place was totally destroyed in 1518, with the occasion of the marriage of Lorenzo of Medici, the nephew of Lorenzo the Magnificent and duke of Urbino and Maddalena of La Tour d’Auvergne, when the ground is paved all together.

Italiano

A volte è molto difficile immaginare come fosse il mondo passato: modifiche e distruzioni hanno infatti alterato irrimediabilmente la nostra percezione delle cose anche quando qualcosa sembra essere giunto fino a noi in buone condizioni. Se pensiamo al giardino del quattrocentesco Palazzo Medici Riccardi a Firenze l’esempio risulta davvero appropriato dato che è opera di un riallestimento novecentesco, mentre l’edificio è stato costruito a partire dal 1445 da Michelozzo per Cosimo il Vecchio e appare ancora sostanzialmente intatto nella sua parte quattrocentesca nonostante le aggiunte fatte dalla famiglia Riccardi, nuova proprietaria dell’immobile a partire dal 1659.

Se non esiste più il giardino originario, fortunatamente possediamo alcuni documenti che ci possono aiutare a ricostruire idealmente questo luogo di delizia. Se potessimo tornare indietro nel tempo, per vedere questo palazzo all’epoca di Lorenzo il Magnifico (1449-1492), nipote di Cosimo il Vecchio, prima di giungere nel giardino attraverseremmo il cortile, ornato dai medaglioni creati dalla bottega di Donatello ispirandosi ad antichi e celebri cammei, presenti ancora oggi al loro posto, e da una colonna, ormai distrutta, sormontata dal David bronzeo realizzato da Donatello che si trova oggi al Bargello. In fondo al cortile la porta di collegamento era decorata da un busto romano raffigurante l’imperatore Adriano, che oggi si trova agli Uffizi. Attraversato questo passaggio si poteva finalmente vedere il giardino, rettangolare e caratterizzato da una loggia aperta costruita sul lato breve a sud, cioè alla sinistra di chi entrava. Questa struttura, ancora oggi esistente anche se tamponata, culminava in un giardino pensile ispirato a quelli dell’antichità ed era ornata da rilievi in marmo romani. Altri marmi e bronzi antichi ornavano il luogo; tra questi era una celebre testa di cavallo in bronzo, creazione greca del IV secolo a. C., oggi al Museo Archeologico di Firenze. Ma non lo decoravano solo opere d’arte antica; fulcro del giardino era infatti il celeberrimo gruppo bronzeo della Giuditta e Oloferne di Donatello, oggi a Palazzo Vecchio.
I documenti ci descrivono inoltre le piante di bosso, intagliate a forma di elefante, cinghiale, lepre, nave, ariete, di volpe inseguita dai cani.

Il bosso però, oltre ad essere una decorazione, aveva anche un significato politico: durante la visita di Galeazzo Sforza a Firenze, nel 1459, questo bosso venne trasformato negli stemmi congiunti delle famiglie Sforza e Medici proprio per sottolineare la loro alleanza. Il giardino ebbe però una vita molto breve: nel 1494, due anni dopo la morte di Lorenzo il Magnifico, la famiglia Medici venne cacciata da Firenze, il palazzo venne saccheggiato ed i bronzi del David e della Giuditta rimossi dal cortile e dal giardino distruggendo per sempre un equilibrio perfetto fra arte e natura. Quello che ancora rimaneva di questo luogo fu totalmente cancellato nel 1518, in occasione del matrimonio tra Lorenzo de’ Medici, nipote di Lorenzo il Magnifico e duca di Urbino, e Maddalena de La Tour d’Auvergne, quando il suolo venne totalmente lastricato.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.