La Edwin L. Wiegand Foundation di Reno, Nevada (USA), rappresentata da Raymond Avansino, Chair and Chief Executive Officer, e da Marisa Avansino, Co-Vice Chair and President, ha donato un milione di dollari per realizzare il nuovo allestimento del Corridoio Vasariano, del quale sono in corso i lavori. Nel “nuovo” Corridoio Vasariano non saranno esposti dipinti, per espresso divieto da parte dei Vigili del Fuoco d’introdurre materiale infiammabile. Verrà qui esposta la formidabile raccolta di antiche epigrafi marmoree greche e romane, rimasta fino ad oggi chiusa nei depositi degli Uffizi. Quasi trecento iscrizioni in marmo che costituiscono il nucleo principale del museo epigrafico granducale costituito tra Sei e Settecento, con alcune aggiunte nel primo Ottocento. Una raccolta epigrafica oggetto di larga fama nella letteratura scientifica sin dal ’700 e fra le più antiche custodite in un museo pubblico italiano. Le epigrafi rimasero esposte agli Uffizi per quasi tre secoli, fino al 1919, quando la collezione fu smembrata e messa in deposito. Nel “nuovo” Corridoio Vasariano saranno collocate anche sculture ellenistiche e romane, proprio come avveniva nell’“originale” Vasariano, e così il Corridoio diventerà un nuovo e appassionante percorso archeologico. Al suo interno ospiterà anche affreschi cinquecenteschi.

EN

The Edwin L. Wiegand Foundation in Reno, Nevada (USA), represented by Raymond Avansino, Chair and Chief Executive Officer, and by Marisa Avansino, Co-Vice Chair and President, has made a one-million-dollar donation to realize the new setup of the Vasarian Corridor, which is now undergoing reconstruction. The “new” Vasarian Corridor will not feature any paintings, as clearly requested by the local firefighters, who have prohibited the entry of flammable materials. Instead, the formidable collection of ancient Greek and Roman marble epigraphs will be hosted here, which has been kept in storage at the Uffizi till now. Almost three hundred marble inscriptions that make up the main core of the Grand Ducal epigraphic museum, founded between the 17th and 18th centuries, with some additions from the early 19th century. An epigraphic collection that has been mentioned in scientific literature since the 1700s and among the oldest held by a public Italian museum. The epigraphs remained exposed at the Uffizi for almost three centuries, until 1919, when the collection was taken apart and stored. In the “new” Vasarian Corridor there will be also Hellenistic and Roman sculptures, just as it was in the “original” Vasarian, and thus the Corridor will become a new and fascinating archaeological area. It will also host 16th century frescoes.